• Drucken

Autor Thema: Prologue - A place most foul  (Gelesen 46199 mal)

Beschreibung: or how a single wrong step throws everything into turmoil

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
Prologue - A place most foul
« Antwort #30 am: 04.08.2012, 20:59:12 »
"Well, ultimately we work all for the greater evil, right? Which would be no other than Bel himself, at least on Avernus that is. If you speak of the one who gave me the direct order, it is Ar'kle-mens, a Red Abishai and another servant of Bel."

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #31 am: 04.08.2012, 21:46:16 »
"And I suppose, he told you to report every single incident happening here, especially, if someone appears at the portal, right?"

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #32 am: 04.08.2012, 22:05:57 »
The small fiend looks at you with wide eyes.

"Well... yes. Sort of. I mean duty is duty, right? If I'd fail to mention a trespasser while on guarding duty, do you know what my superiors would do to me? Me neither. But I bet something I'd rather not want to happen.
Do you mind me making a report? I mean sooner or later you'll be noticed nevertheless. You sort of stick out from the crowd, you know?"
« Letzte Änderung: 04.08.2012, 22:06:25 von Ultan »

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #33 am: 04.08.2012, 22:57:16 »
Nathanael smiles.

"Not at all. I understand your duty and I appreciate your way of tackling tasks dutifully and willingly. Unfortunately I see a dilemma. If you report my arrival on this plane, you leave this place and will not be able to perceive the arrival of another creature. In other words, you do not fullfil your duty. But if you stay, you cannot report my arrival and do not fullfil your duty either. A tricky quandary, but probably I may help[1]."

1. Diplomacy: 20.

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #34 am: 04.08.2012, 23:18:35 »
Undecided the fiend scratches his head.

"More of the likes of you? I don't know. There hasn't ben anybody for decades coming through this conduit. It's probably not very likely for another one to suddenly pop up. Or is there?"

The Spinagon eyes you with suspicion.

"What leads you here anyway, if I may ask so? You've some sort of business with the higher-ups? If so you'd have to report anyways. Wouldn't it be more convenient if I just herald your arrival?"

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #35 am: 04.08.2012, 23:53:52 »
Nathanael keeps on smiling politly.

"I may be wrong, but will you tell your master that an arrival of another creature seemed unlikely if another one appears and your master asks you why you left your guard? Will he accept that answer? It is probably not very likely, it is not?

I am, where I am. And I have to leave this place back to the material plane. That is everything I told and will tell you. Because you are still alive, I have, as you recognize, no hostile intention towards you. And to whom and of which position I may speak while being on this plane is unfortunately nothing I can tell you.

My attendance neither requires an announcing nor does it forbids one. To me, whatever you do is most likely irrelevant, if we consider, where we are. But to you it matters and by offering you my help a second and last time, I wanted to reciprocate because you have told me where I am. So tell me if you like to hear my offer."

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #36 am: 05.08.2012, 00:03:36 »
The devil seems confused by your long speech.

"So you want to make a deal? That's... well that's fine with me. I like deals, go on."

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #37 am: 05.08.2012, 00:29:53 »
Nathanael nods.

"My offer is very simple and still serves your pursuit. I offer you to not tell anyone in any way that I appeared at the portal you are guarding. I will not tell a lie, but due to the fact that the portal through which I arrived is precisly spoken not the same portal as this one here because of the small but important distinction in time, no creature will ever ask exactly the right question to get the answer that would set you in very uncomfortable conditions. And due to the fact, that my appearance here is completly random, I doubt that you take any risk by keeping your secret. Personnaly I have better things to keep in mind and will forget this incident as soon as I have to remember something more important.

But, as an offer intends, the decision is up to you."

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #38 am: 05.08.2012, 01:10:18 »
Undecided the fiend hops from one feet to another. After a brief moment he seems to have come to a conclusion.

"So basically we have never seen each other, right? You don't tell that you stumpled to this conduit and I won't report you?
Fine, let's do this. Now if you'd please leave this place before anyone sees us together, m'lord."

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #39 am: 05.08.2012, 13:18:22 »
Nathanael was not sure, whether he could believe the devil's words and neither whether his little trick brought him any advantage, but it felt like he got the upper hand and for now that was more than he could have wished to achieve.

"With pleasure."

Following the way the devil described to him, Nathanael leaves the plateau.
« Letzte Änderung: 05.08.2012, 13:18:34 von Nathanael Helsang »

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #40 am: 05.08.2012, 14:19:28 »
Nathanael finds his trek across the reddish plain largely uneventful. On the horizon, he sees vast numbers of fiends marching about to the south an leathery-winged flyers above them.
The sweltering heat makes the journey uncomfortable, more so because the small portion of water the wizard has brought with him is steadily dwindling.
Great blocks of black basalt lie scattered about, and fireballs explode at random intervals, shedding light and heat across the land. None of the missiles get close enough to threaten the the young man directly, but a wave of heat ripples his clothing every time one bursts nearby. Even when the fireballs explode far away, their thunder rolls across the plains like a stampeding herd.

After several miles of travel Nathanael reaches a river. Closer inspection of the red, sluggish stream reveals that it's a river of blood coursing across the plain!
Images of tormented faces spring up on the foam caught in the eddies of the river, to be dashed to bits on the rocks. Each such "face" seems to let out a faint scream when the current forces it against the crags, thought that might be simply the splashing of the fluid on the basalt. A muted howling comes from much farther upstream, from the spring in the mountains.
As the horrifying river stretches in front of the mountains where the witches hut is supposed to be, Nathanael has to choose to either cross it or find a way around it.

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #41 am: 05.08.2012, 17:11:25 »
It is always a pitty to loose useful resources, but Nathanael was kept in hell and so had not time to waste. Without further ado he casts a spell and crosses the river[1].
 1. Natahanael casts Fly.

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #42 am: 05.08.2012, 17:21:55 »
Once across the River of Blood, Nathanael has no trouble finding the quarters of the witch. The mountains are a short distance away, and a cloud of smoke rises from the base of the one towering before him. This billowing cloud differs from the dirty black smoke of exploding fireballs in that it looks white, as though from a cooking flame or hearth fire. The column originates approximately a half mile south of where the river emerges from the mountains.
As Nathanael draws closer he finds the smoke puring heavily out of a smalle cave in the base of the mountain, directly on his line of approach. Someone as set up a ring of posts around the cave some 30 feet from the entrance. As the posts have no crossbar spanning the 5 feet between each, they do not seem a handy method of repelling intruders.
As the young wizard approaches, he sees a white-haired woman clad in red robes stagger, coughing, from the cave. She glances up with beary, bloodshot eyes, curses, and begins to make a series of gestures.

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #43 am: 05.08.2012, 18:11:26 »
Nathanel sighs. Who would have suspect the witch to be agressive. By trying to identify the witch's spell, he starts his own attack[1].
 1. Spellcraft: 30; Spell: Web

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #44 am: 05.08.2012, 18:59:12 »
At the same moment Nathanael finishes his spell he reads from the witch's gestures, that she is about to cast the very same magic.

The web cast by the witch spreads anchored between the posts and sticky strand try to entrap the wizard. With a sudden movement Nathanael dodges the arcane trap and fires his own spell.
Nathanael's magic hits the suprised witch with uncanny accuracy and a moment later the old woman hangs screaming and cursing trapped in her very own spell in the entrance to the cave.

• Drucken