• Drucken

Autor Thema: Prologue - A place most foul  (Gelesen 45591 mal)

Beschreibung: or how a single wrong step throws everything into turmoil

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
Prologue - A place most foul
« Antwort #75 am: 17.08.2012, 11:56:28 »
Nathanael feels clumsy. He stumples across this plane without knowing anything, not even whether he can trust that gnome skull. Besides, if he realy posseses some kind of key, would not it be much more sensful to keep this key?

"Thanks, I am trying. But clueless as I am, I need your help. How do I recognize my spellkey? I realy do not want to stay in Baator longer than absolutely necessary."

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #76 am: 20.08.2012, 16:47:11 »
The gnomish head hisses angrily.

"If I'd know how it looks like, why would I want to know about it, human? If you can weave magic you're certainly touching a spell key right now."

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #77 am: 21.08.2012, 11:55:57 »
Nathanael nods.

"And you would recognize a spellkey? I mean if I show you everything I got?"

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #78 am: 21.08.2012, 12:42:26 »
The rotten head nods.

"Yes, that's easy. Magic attracts magic. To recognize is not the issue, but finding one is."

That being said, Nathanael opens his backpack for the skull. One after another he's presenting his belongings to fiendish pillar. When he shows the last item the gnome shakes it's head fiercely.

"No, that's not it. You don't own a key, everything of those is just useless waste. With this you won't be able to bring forth even a spark of magic. How dare you lie to me, prime?"

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #79 am: 21.08.2012, 12:52:31 »
"But I did cast a spell the moment I stepped trough that portal! The spellkey cannot be the dirt I standed upon!"

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #80 am: 21.08.2012, 14:01:18 »
"...Or can it?"

The gnome seems stumped.

"While the ground itself is unlikely to be a spellkey, there was maybe something else you stepped onto? Quick, where else did you cast a spell? And what did you stand upon at this time?"

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #81 am: 04.09.2012, 20:18:18 »
Nathanael thinks carefully. If a spellkey could be almost anything then he just had to remind himself of what was near him at the time he casted his spells.
Of course there was always the air around him, but as the air was everywhere, it seems illogical for it to be a proper key. Back then he wasn't grasping onto something but himself, so if he didn't happen to be a spell key himself, then only thing left he was touching would have been the very ground he stood upon. At the time he first arrived on Avernus he found himself on sharp rocks. The rocks were the very same as everywhere else around the plane, so either it'd be a specific shape of rock or something else. He arrived on top of a magic circle, drawn by some hand with an unknown ingredient. The colour of the circle was mostly charred black, but this wasm ost probably due to the scorching by arcane energy. Nathanael used to draw his own circles and symbols with white chalk, he could only guss what substance devils would use to do the same.

As he crossed the River of Blood he too had cast a spell to fly over it. At this time he stood upon the blood-drenched riverbank, hardly anything else in sight but the desolate landscape and the disgusting flow of rotten gore.

The answer to the riddle must be at hand, but he couldn't quite put the finger on it. On the other hand, If the problem would prove itself as too troublesome he could still go back to the witch and ask about the spellkey.

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #82 am: 05.09.2012, 17:31:25 »
Nathanael thinks desparetely.

"What about blood? May this be a proper spellkey?"

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #83 am: 05.09.2012, 18:56:28 »
The gnome suddenly sports a broad, rotten grin.

"Yes, yes! Bring it to me! Bring me the key and the reward will be yours. Now go! Hurry, hurry!"

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #84 am: 05.09.2012, 19:25:35 »
Nathanael bites in his thumb untill he tastes the bitter taste of blood. With a distorted face he clenches his fist and shows the gnome skull the palm of his hand.

"Is this the spellkey?"
« Letzte Änderung: 05.09.2012, 19:56:41 von Nathanael Helsang »

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #85 am: 06.09.2012, 10:55:07 »
Excited the gnome twists his decaying head.

"It might be! Oh, it is! Finally the key in my reach! With this I'll be able to escape I'm sure. Give it to me! Put it in the pillar! Just push it in here!"

Nathanael musters the pillar of muttering rotten heads and wonders how foolish it'd be to put as much as a finger inside.

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #86 am: 06.09.2012, 11:03:39 »
Nathanael takes a strap of his coat and breaks something of it away. Then he dips the frazzle in his blood and puts it carefully in the pillar of skulls.

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #87 am: 06.09.2012, 16:13:47 »
"Ah, finally!, the gnomish head cheers.

For a moment the skulls seems caught in excitement, muttering and twisting like a madman.
Then he fixates Nathanael again, his face distorted by a unnatural broad grin.

"A deals's a deal, Prime. There is a portal which will bring you out of Avernus. It lies across the River of Blood, southeast of the keep of Bel. It's a spiny outcropping of rock atop a low hill, you'll recognize it upon seeing.

Now listen for what I'm telling you now is most important. You'll need a key to enter the portal. A brick from the Great Avernus Road will do the trick. The road leads to Bel's keep so you will stumple upon it one way or another.

To use the portal just hold onto the key and step through it's easy as that."

Damian

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #88 am: 17.09.2012, 12:34:42 »
Nathanael's eyes widen and he stumbles backwards.

"Bel's keep? I am not insane! Is there no other portal next to no lord of hell?!"

Ultan

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #89 am: 18.09.2012, 23:47:01 »
Shaking his head the gnome denies.

"Nay, there ain't. If you want to leave, this very gate it has to be. If you want to have but a chance of survival that is. Otherwise feel free to consult another skull. I bet there's plenty of my kind who will die to make a trade with you. But know that there's not one portal as close. Either you try your luck with the portal next to Bel's keep or you take the chance of traveling another day or two into the blue. Or rather the red it seems."

The rotten head chuckles.

"Not an easy choice I reckon? Well this place wants your soul, you know? It craves after the living. With that kind of feeble determination you won't make it even half way. If you want to survive here then your mind has to be strong. Bend to fear and anxiety and you'll be doomed as certain as the sky is crimson. Now of you go, one way or the other!"

With the sound of a boot treading in deep mud the gnomish head retreats back into the horrifying pillar.
« Letzte Änderung: 18.09.2012, 23:47:36 von Ultan »

• Drucken